As a parent-cooperative, Mulberry parents have the opportunity to participate in all aspects of the school’s operation. Parents can get involved through a variety of ways by volunteering their time, talents, and ideas by being a part of fundraising events. Parents also make up the Board of Directors, which manages the affairs of the school along with the Non-Profit Director. Each family is asked to contribute 35 parent hours (Time & Talent) during the academic school year.
There is a parent meeting four (4) times throughout the academic year where families can get updates from the staff and Board of Directors. Time spent at parent meetings count towards a family’s volunteer hours total. (Childcare may be available during parent meetings for a nominal fee.)
Some of the other ways parents can participate include:
- Volunteering during the lunch hour
- Chaperoning class field trips
- Getting involved in fundraising events (Read-A-Thon, Gala, 5K Race).
- Helping coordinate the annual Halloween celebration, Friendship Feast, Cultural Diversity Celebration, Field Day & classroom parties
- Purchasing kitchen supplies
- Participating in school beautification/ cleaning days
- Assisting in the classrooms
- Organizing the school library books
Sign-up sheets for volunteering opportunities are generally shared within a Google doc and shared weekly in our Meerkat newsletters.
Parent Volunteer Opportunities
Note that each hour of parent hour is considered equivalent to $40.00. Families have the option of purchasing supplies for the school as needed, and can count each $40.00 spent as one hour of service. Alternatively, any unfulfilled hours can be paid for at this rate when the school year ends.